Regional teaching -ST vincents Hospital 4/9/19 with thanks to Dr Rasanga Peiris
It was interactive scenarios with small group discussions. These were the answers we came up with & there may be more correct answers
- Disaster management
There was a rail track accident at Parliament station and AV calls on a Wednesday Morning. ED is full.
Preparation broadly categorise to : Stuff Space Staff
Vacate resuscitation for critical pts – send people to ward, discharge lounge, home.
Expect minor traumas and walk-ins – designated fast track area
Inform relevant disciplines, Director. Activate code brown.
Theatre – cancel the electives Inform blood blank and Radiology
Delegate staff –set teams in each bay. One Ed consultant/ reg to the triage.
Source Ventilators, plasters, IV poles, Dressing/trauma packs.
Need extra drugs ( Iv morphine, fentanyl, cefazolin , fluids, inotropes)
50 Y M vomiting, SOB, Blurring of vision and chest pain. Etoh ++ last night
Obs -PR 110 RR 28 BP 130-90 spo2 97% GCs 14 drowsy with slurred speech
pH7.21 HC03 10 pCO2 18 glucose 7 urea 15
sodium 145 K 4.5 Cl 105 Lactate 5 OSm 335
Breath alcohol 0.01%
Agent – likely a toxic alchol – HAGMA + increase OSmolar gap + low alcohol levels
*oral & IV alcohol * Iv sodium bicarbonate *formipazole * Iv fluids
Young girl ingested Amyl nitrate a night club instead of sniffing it. She presented with SOB + hypoxia.
Her blood gas was given & had a methaemoglobin level of 38%
* O2 via venture *Methelene blue
A young male has tachycardia with hyperthermia with exaggerated reflexes and a clonus : Serotonin syndrome
*cooling active (cold fluids & bladder irrigation ) & passive (Ice packs around the body with a body bag )
Echo: Fluid responsiveness during shock
LVOT VTI (Velocity time integral) normal 15-20cm – better determinant of fluid responsiveness rather than EF
*VTI is based on LVOT stroke volume * gives a quantitative measure
- Apical 5 chamber view
- Get a doppler graph (PW) of the LVOT -draw and get the height of the blood column
- Get someone to raise leg to increase the venous return & repeat VTI – if VTI increases : fluid responsive
Shoulder reduction techniques:
Explain the pt the option of using each technique and it’s ok to expect to transition to using sedation if the shoulder is still not in. You need compliant pts. Fractured NOH cannot be reduced without surgery.
- Best for when humeral head is up under acromium and biceps is causing tension aim to massage biceps. Relax pt and bring shoulder blades back to open joint
- Pt is usually holding arm flexed to body.
Kocker’s method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wiIlT6_YLM
- Best when humeral head is under glenoid and there is a step in deltoid muscle area.
- Pt is usually holding arm down by side
- One of the ‘zero position’ techniques aim to align muscles and bring the shoulder back.
- Pt lays back, gentle straight traction on wrist, supinate arm once brought forward.