Both Footscray and Sunshine campuses currently use the enFlow fluid warmer. It is relatively easy to set-up and can quickly heat fluids (blood/crystalloid) to 40 degrees celsius.
- hypothermia – active warming
- massive transfusion – prevention of coagulopathy
Device set-up (manufacturer video – 3min)
- warmer cartridges are single patient use only
- the cartridge can be considered an extension of the drip line and hence must be primed to avoid air embolism
- note the helpful arrow on the cartridge to indicate direction of flow
- extension tubing can be added to the cartridge for difficult ergonomic situations but will carry a risk of heat loss distal to the warmer.
The warmer is found in the resus storeroom at Footscray, and the warmer cartridge and arm-pad near the bottom left of the shelves on the back wall.